So if you've run out of ideas or are just on the lookout for new ways to inspire your writing, some of these tips may be for you too.
- Research a new genre. Sometimes all it takes is writing in a format you've never tried before to get the ideas flowing. What if that old novel idea of yours was turned into a graphic novel? A serial? Interactive fiction? A collection of short stories?
- If you're a history buff like me, I get inspired by looking at old photos or reading up on different historical time periods. Need a starting place? I've saved my favorite pictures on my "Old Photos" Pinterest board.
- Other people are a great way to get new ideas, whether it's brainstorming with a friend or reading someone else's work. Pick up that book you've been meaning to read or peruse some writing articles to better your craft.
- Writing prompts never go out of style. Resurrect the old school activity of taking a picture prompt and free writing about it. Need some ones to get started? I've saved my favorite writing prompts and articles on my "Writing Corner" Pinterest board.
- Listen to music. If you had to write a story to go along with a certain song, what would it be? Visit my blog, Inspirational Writing Music, to find links to my favorite writing tunes.
- Research your own life. What were funny or pivotal moments in your life? Any interesting relatives or family history? What's your heritage and how has it made you who you are?
Hopefully if your writing well has been dry, these few tips will help you tap into a new source for ideas. Best of luck!